The Complete Guide to RSS Feed on Blogspot in 2023
What is an RSS Feed?
To save yourself time and have all your favorite sites with current news in one place, you can do it with RSS Feed. RSS feeds allow you to follow every new content that comes out in one place.
Information about new texts will most often appear in the form of a title, a short introduction to the text, and the website on which it was published. Sometimes the possibility of reading the whole text is offered right there. But if it is not offered, and you are interested in the new news, you can click on the website and read more.
RSS Feed is a platform that collects the latest posts from the pages you have assigned to it in one place and offers you an overview of the content in one place.
RSS (short for Rich Site Summary, RDF Site Summary, Really Simple Syndication - the Atom feed format and protocol) is a "family" of HTTP protocols/formats that allow data to be distributed over the Internet.
There are 4 HTTP protocols, which are intended primarily for the transmission of data over the Internet they are characterized as RSS Feeds.
- RSS 0.91 - Rich Site Summary (.xml extension)
- RSS 1.0 and RSS 0.99 - RDF Site Summary (.xml extension)
- Atom - Atom Syndication Format (.atom extension)
- RSS 2.0 - Really Simple Syndications (.xml extension)
Benefits of using RSS feed
As a blogger, you may have heard of RSS Feed but may not fully understand what it is and how it can benefit your blog. RSS Feed stands for Really Simple Syndication, which is a way for your blog to distribute its content to other websites and platforms. Essentially, RSS Feed is a format that allows readers to subscribe to your blog and receive updates whenever you publish new content.
Here are some benefits of using RSS Feed for your blog:
- Increased Traffic: RSS Feed allows your readers to easily access your content, which can lead to increased traffic to your blog. By subscribing to your RSS Feed, readers will receive updates whenever you publish new content, which can encourage them to visit your blog regularly.
- Better User Experience: RSS Feed provides a better user experience for your readers. Instead of having to manually check your blog for updates, they can receive updates automatically through their RSS reader. This can save them time and make it more convenient for them to keep up with your content.
- Increased Engagement: By making it easier for readers to access your content, RSS Feed can help increase engagement on your blog. Readers who subscribe to your RSS Feed are likely to be more engaged and interested in your content, which can lead to more comments, shares, and social media interactions.
Setting up RSS Feed on Blogspot is relatively easy, and can help you reach a wider audience and increase engagement on your blog. In the next section, we'll provide a step-by-step guide on how to set up RSS Feed on Blogspot and optimize it for your blog.
Step-by-step guide on how to set up RSS Feed on Blogspot
Log in to your Blogspot account and select the blog you want to set up RSS Feed.
- Go to the "Settings" menu."
- Scroll down to the "Site Feed" section and click on "Allow blog feed".
- Check the box "Full" to enable your RSS Feed.
- Click on "Save" to save your changes.
Explanation of the different options available for configuring RSS Feed on Blogspot
Blogspot offers a few different options for configuring your RSS Feed. You can share the Full site feed, Comments-only feed, or Label-specific site feed.
From the example below, replace the blog address with your address and the label you are interested in for [label].
Blogger RSS Feed and Atom URL format
Full site feed:
Atom 1.0: https://yourblogname.blogspot.com/feeds/posts/default
RSS 2.0: https://yourblogname.blogspot.com/feeds/posts/default?alt=rss
Atom 1.0: https://yourblogname.blogspot.com/feeds/comments/default
RSS 2.0: https://yourblogname.blogspot.com/feeds/comments/default?alt=rs
Label-specific site feed:
To get a feed for a specific label, you need to change [label].
Atom 1.0: https://yourblogname.blogspot.com/feeds/posts/default/-/[label]
RSS 2.0: https://yourblogname.blogspot.com/feeds/posts/default/-/[label]?alt=rs
Tips for optimizing RSS Feed for your blog
- Use descriptive titles for your blog posts to help readers quickly understand what each post is about.
- Include relevant keywords in your blog posts to make it easier for readers to find your content.
- Make sure your blog's design is clean and easy to navigate to improve the user experience.
- Use high-quality images and videos in your blog posts to make your content more engaging and shareable.
- Encourage readers to subscribe to your RSS Feed by including a subscription button on your blog and promoting it on social media.
By following these steps and tips, you can set up and optimize your RSS Feed on Blogspot to increase traffic and engagement on your blog.
How to use Feed Widget in Blogger?
To use the Feed Widget on your Blogspot, go to your Blogger Dashboard and select the Layout section. Click the button to Add a gadget you will see the Feed widget. After clicking on the feed you need to add one of the above-mentioned feed URLs, depending on what you want to display.
After entering the feed URL, click continue. You can configure the widget, such as displaying the author's name, setting the maximum number of posts, etc. >
How to disable site Feed on Blogger?
If you want to disable the RSS feed of your Blogspot blog, you can do so in your blogger's settings.
To disable "RSS Feed", you need to go to blog "Settings" and find the "Site Feed" option. Click the "Allow blog feed" option and select "None", then click "Save."
Promoting RSS Feed on Blogspot
RSS Feed is a powerful tool that helps you to keep your readers engaged and up-to-date with your blog's latest content. But how do you get more subscribers to your RSS Feed on Blogspot? In this section, we will explore some effective strategies for promoting your RSS Feed on Blogspot and encouraging readers to subscribe to it.
- Add RSS Feed button to your blog: Make sure to add an RSS Feed button to your blog. This button will help your readers to easily locate your RSS Feed and subscribe to it. Blogspot offers several built-in widgets that allow you to add an RSS Feed button to your blog.
- Offer exclusive content: Offering exclusive content that is only available through your RSS Feed is a great way to encourage readers to subscribe. For example, you could offer a free e-book or a discount code that is only available to subscribers of your RSS Feed.
- Promote your RSS Feed on social media: Promoting your RSS Feed on social media is a great way to attract new subscribers. Share your RSS Feed link on your social media profiles, and encourage your followers to subscribe to it.
- Utilize email marketing: Email marketing is another effective way to promote your RSS Feed. You can send out newsletters to your email subscribers and include a call-to-action to subscribe to your RSS Feed.
- Use RSS Feed directories: Submit your RSS Feed to popular RSS Feed directories such as Feedly and Bloglovin. This will make it easier for readers to find your RSS Feed and subscribe to it.
Promoting your RSS Feed on Blogspot is essential for keeping your readers engaged and up-to-date with your latest content. By utilizing the strategies outlined above, you can attract new subscribers and ensure that your RSS Feed is a powerful tool for growing your blog's audience.
RSS and Feed Reader Programs
Many different feed reader programs can be divided into two types:
- Web applications such as Google Feed Reader,
- Programs that are installed and run from a computer or mobile device.
Both types have their advantages. If you use web browsers, you can keep track of new items wherever you are. If you use an application on your computer, you can always have a program running quickly.
RSS Feed is a lifeline for most people. It is becoming increasingly difficult to stay up to date with all the information that exists on the internet and your favorite sites. We present to you some of the most used RSS applications:
Feedly is a very simple application primarily because of its minimalist look. It is easy to use and simply presents content, allowing easy access to content. The free version includes up to 100 monitored sources, content categorization, and the ability to watch Youtube videos.
There is also a premium version, which allows you to share your content with other people and the integration of Evernote and Dropbox. You can access the Feedly app via a web browser, Android or iOS, making it very accessible on any occasion, whether you’re on the go, in the newsroom, or at home.
Through Inoreader, you can monitor an unlimited number of pages and sort them by folders. One of the good things about this app is that it can store your content permanently, so you can go back and re-read the long-read text. With the premium version, you can follow social media posts, set how you want to sort, and tag the content that appears in your feed.
Inoreader also offers you a video tutorial on how to use this application as efficiently as possible, which makes it a great application for people who use RSS applications for the first time. It is available for web, Android, and iOS.
News Blur also has a free and paid version. For the free version, you get the ability to follow 64 pages, save them and share them with friends. In the paid version, you get the ability to search your profile and record stories. It offers the ability to thematically sort by folders and to track as many pages as you want.
A great option that News blur offers is tracking your topics and recommendations for tracking pages you haven't followed before that offer information on the same topic. It is available for web, Android, and iOS.
Bloglovin is one of the RSS readers with the most attractive design. It has a simple format with the ability to leave comments for each post. It also includes photos, which makes its design even more attractive.
The content is divided into categories, which makes it easier for you to search for new pages. Of course, this RSS reader also offers you the ability to create folders for yourself and come back to them later. The great fact is that this reader is completely free. It is available for web, Android, and iOS.
This RSS reader is easy to use and includes the integration of other applications that can improve your productivity. If you use this application on the web you will need to install a free upgrade on your browser. It offers the ability to read the full text or short description. There is a free version, a pro, and a business plan.
If you are computer-savvy and want to tailor your RSS reader specifically to your needs, then this app is ideal for you. It is open and free to download, which allows you to add your add-ons and make them your own. It allows you to not only follow websites but also people on Twitter. You need to install it manually on your web server.
The Old Reader
With this RSS reader, you can follow your friends, and they will automatically show you what your friends have recommended for reading. There is also the ability to see what other people are reading, which is a good way to discover new pages that you could follow.
There is a free and a premium version. The free version allows you to track up to 100 pages. Premium includes the ability to track more than 100 pages, block ads, and a more detailed search.
Feedreader is a web platform that allows you to enjoy the content you love in a very simplified way. You can view it in an expanded or shortened version. Feedreader is free and offers the possibility of sorting into different categories, marking texts with an asterisk or as read.
This platform allows you to monitor websites and have your feed from social networks at the same time, which is a great option to have everything in one place. It is completely free and can only be accessed via a web browser.
This RSS reader allows you to customize it so you can follow the social networks and pages you choose. You can set up and sync your calendar, activity list, and emails. Vip and premium option allows you to search for articles, automatic recording, tracking topics, and comparison. You can also share content with others.
In conclusion, RSS Feed is a powerful tool for bloggers to increase their audience engagement and drive more traffic to their blog. By using RSS Feed, you can provide your readers with a convenient way to stay updated on your latest content without the need for them to constantly check your website.
If you are using Blogspot, setting up and promoting your RSS Feed is a simple process that can be done with just a few clicks. By following the steps outlined in this guide, you can easily configure your RSS Feed to suit your needs and promote it to your readers.
In summary, the key steps involved in setting up and promoting RSS Feed on Blogspot are as follows:
- Enable the RSS Feed feature on your Blogspot blog.
- Customize your RSS Feed settings to suit your preferences.
- Promote your RSS Feed to your readers using various strategies and tools.
By optimizing your RSS Feed on Blogspot, you can enjoy a range of benefits, including increased traffic, better engagement, and higher search engine rankings.
As a final recommendation, we suggest that you regularly monitor your RSS Feed to ensure that it is functioning properly and providing your readers with the best possible experience. Additionally, consider experimenting with different RSS Feed configurations and promotion strategies to find what works best for your blog and audience.
With the right approach, RSS Feed can be a valuable addition to your Blogspot blog in 2023 and beyond.
Editor's Note: This post was originally published in February 2022 and has been completely revamped and updated for accuracy and comprehensiveness.